WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING?
A couple of months ago I had the ambition to create a movie length video promoting TZM. I wanted to have particular emphasis on how insane, stupid and bizarre most "jobs" and social norms are when taken out of the context of our out-dated economic system. It quickly occurred to me that a collaborative approach, not just making a movie but creating an endless stream of videos with a coherent basic framework would be much more efficient.
So that is why I am inviting you to an online environment where people who want to make videos creating awareness can come together and share footage, ideas and skills and make an endless stream of compilations under a common framework that creates awareness to the crazy situation we are all in at the moment. All you have to do is select a category, make your own footage or compilation, upload the WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING? banner at the start of the video and direct viewers to www.thezeitgeistmovement.com at the end.
Facebook is widely used and most people know how to share videos on it through YouTube, so let’s do just that. Simply find WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING? on Facebook (LINK IS BELOW) and begin sharing your videos. All successful videos will also be uploaded to whatoneartharewedoingofficial YouTube channel.
Please view the example videos and read the page description below.
WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING? is an open source video/animation sharing page using a common framework under the same banner with the intent of creating awareness for the root causes of social and behavioral problems (mainly the out-dated global economic system) and providing a common solution: The scientific method for social concern/an open-source economy (also known as a resource-based economy).
We also must display the WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING? banner on all videos.
You don’t have to be a professional cinematographer; amateur videos of any length are ALL welcome! Raw footage is also accepted.
AIM: To create a collaborative online environment with an endless stream of coherent videos (of any length) that will seep into the public realm through YouTube and Facebook directing people to www.thezeitgeistmovement.com and back to this Facebook page. Therefore all videos MUST have the official WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING? banner displayed at the beginning or end of the video for at least 10 seconds or so, as well as a link to www.thezeitgeistmovement.com. The coherency of our videos is important and should fit under one or more of the following seven categories below. The long-term intent is to create streams of full-length video compilations that cover ALL seven of the categories in increasingly varied ways, appealing to different demographics, with increasing professionalism in the quality. This concept could also be added to zeitgeistmediaproject.com or a specialized website which could make the concept more dynamic.
Submit the video via a YouTube link to the event/category it fits in most accurately. Categories are listed below. If you find it doesn’t fit into one of these categories but is highly relevant please post it on the “uncategorized” event category. Compilations will also have their own category.
- Videos can be downloaded using this FREE software directly from YouTube
CATEGORIES (Want to change them? let me know!)
1) An Alienated perspective : Illustrate how insane our global society is when percieved outside of the context of social norms, e.g., We live on a planet made mostly of water but we fight over less than three percent of it. We put our waste in the ocean and then buy animal waste and put it on our gardens at home. We design stuff to break! And copyright ideas!
Also, get people to perceive the world as a vulnerable singular organism from an alienated perspective and recognize our own mortality as a species. E.g., demonstrate that it is inevitable that a comet will hit the earth over a long enough period of time unless we develop technologies that can successfully destroy them, and how there are external galactic threats to our long-term survival. Illustrate how insane our global society is when viewed outside of the context of social norms.
2) We are products of a culture we CAN change: Get people to realize we are all mostly products of our cultural environment in terms of behavior, health and abilities (while still acknowledging there is still some aspect of our identity that is unique and beautiful). Demonstrate that one of the driving forces of human motivation is not money, but improving (and therefore changing) our surroundings, each other, health and our state of being.
3) Exposing the inherently flawed economic system: Expose the inherent flaws of the current economic system in an age of abundant information, technology and automated production. E.g., it’s based on labor for income. Product value is highly arbitrary (and encourages scarcity or the illusion scarcity).
4) How the economic system negatively affects us on a global level: war, poverty, environmental degradation, planned and intrinsic obsolescence, mass stupidity, distortion, destructive social norms, scarcity, manipulation, just to name a few. It doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom; it could be things like why do residential properties have so much fencing and no common areas? Why is so much crap on TV?
5) How the economic system has negatively affected us individually: This could be the story of how it has affected you, a friend or a stranger – or all of the above. It could include things such as mundane jobs that are socially pointless (an easy one to illustrate with a video camera and a walk through your home town), neurotic behavior, depression, a restrictive educational system, lack of community and social progress, lack of freedom, being deceived, being forced into corrupt behavior, poor health, lack of access to necessities, restrictive lifestyle, being unable to be your true self because of enforced social norms, e.g., being forced to have a phony smile and sense of enthusiasm at your pointless job selling hamburgers - a process that can be automated - so you can pay off the outstanding debt of your five-year university degree).....excuse my rant.
6) Propose an alternative economic system: must be some form of RBE (Resource-Based Economy) although I like the term open-source economy. Show the basic structure of an RBE.
7) Give a teaser of life in an RBE!: E.g., show what amazing technology is possible, but not marketable in the current system (Google cars that drive themselves!); show what ACTUALLY motivates constructive behavior (autonomy, mastery, progress); show how centralized planning can be very unique depending on the location; how we could be a type 1 civilization and travel through space; show how we can live in harmony with the planet, other species and each other with an abundance of knowledge, resources and time. Or maybe show what could happen if we don’t adopt a new economic system, e.g., a micro-chipped population in an extremely controlled hierarchical society where people are all dependent on the elitists OR maybe a post WW3 scenario with mutated people trying to regain primative technologies like fire and making sense of old ruins.
Use comedy, shock, beauty and cold hard facts to support your footage, or just leave it raw as a blank canvas. Don’t be shy with your videos, no one is judging. If anyone wants to edit the parameters of the framework/categories please send me a message and I will take it into consideration.
All videos will be uploaded to the YouTube channel whatoneartharewedoingofficial